The McNabb Question

Posted by Kevin Lockett | Labels: | Posted On Jan 27, 2010 at 4:00 PM

I'm not a football expert, but I figure I've sacrificed enough of my life watching the Eagles loose that I can offer my two cents on whether embattled quarterback Donovan McNabb should be retained. I think it all boils down to a few basic questions:

  • Are the Eagles better off with McNabb, or the alternative: Kevin Kolb? If the goal is to win now, and by now I mean next season or the season after that, then the me this is a no-brainer. Of course the Eagles are better off with McNabb. Granted, Kolb could be the next great quarterback in the NFL, but we don't know that. McNabb is a special player, and chances are our next quarterback (or two, or three) just won't be as good as he is.
  • Is McNabb the source of the Eagles' problems? I would have to say no. Injuries. Poor coaching decisions. A porous that shows the impact of loosing Brian Dawkins. Small receivers. Andy Reid. This are all bigger problems than McNabb, and if McNabb is scapegoated, we'll still have those problems. Look at it this way: with a coach that at times doesn't seem to have the words "run" or "common sense" in his vocabulary and a less-than-stellar supporting cast for nearly his entire career, McNabb has gone to 5 Conference Championship Games and 1 Super Bowl. Can you argue that he should have won the Super Bowl? Yes, and I would agree with you. Still, the fact is, he could have had two or three more shots at it if his bosses weren't so incompetent.
  • Why, then, is there this perennial push to oust McNabb? I wonder this each and every year. The fact of the matter is that a lot of people in Philadelphia don't like McNabb. They never have and they never will. He is the best quarterback to ever play for this team. No, he hasn't won a Super Bowl as an Eagle, making him JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE who's ever played for this team. I think some people never got over the fact that the Eagles drafted McNabb, and decided that, no matter what, they would find a way to dislike him.
So, now what? I guess we sit back and watch the "fans" and "media" circle anxiously above McNabb like obsessed vultures. You can probably tell that I think McNabb should stay, but part of me can't help but wish he could be traded away (maybe back home to Chicago) because maybe Philadelphia just doesn't deserve him.

Comments:

There are 0 comments for The McNabb Question

Post a Comment